People are getting braver day by day when it comes to horror movies. It is harder to scare people today. And I mean the real scare, that used to creep to our bone marrow and lingered for weeks after the movie ended. Below is a list of 12 horror movie tricks, all movie directors use to scare us.
Horror movies that resort to cheap tricks to give us the thrill to make it just worth our money.
Both the types do use the same tricks, albeit in different ways.
1. Following the protagonist as a third person standing behind them
2. Subliminal images that pop up for a microsecond
3. The soundtrack changes dramatically when the jump scare scene comes up
4. Infrasound – a very low frequency humming noise that fills us with dread
5. When the villain talks into the camera, staring right at us
6. Underexposure, so that we do not really know what is happening in the frames
7. Extending the length of the scene to freak us out, keeping us at the edge of the seats
8. K-Y Jelly that is used to represent disgusting saliva
9. The classic jump scare that shocks us out of the blue
10. Tight frames to give you a claustrophobic feel
Distorted reflection, glimpses in the mirror, and mirrors in general are a classic prop of a horror movie. It just increases the space in the frame from which a ghost can pop up, leaving you scanning and searching for it.
12. Ghosts running past quickly in dark rooms
A list of 12 horror movie tricks film directors use to scare you. We go to the cinema expecting all of the above horror movie tricks and we still end up enjoying the movie if it has a good script. Do not be afraid anymore then, the camera is simply playing on your mind.